With a student body of about 30,000 the University of Debrecen is one of the largest institutions of higher education in Hungary today.
The cooperation of fourteen faculties ensures the multidisciplinary background guaranteeing the University a leading role as a research and education institution, and the intellectual center of Eastern Hungary.
The University, with an academic staff of ~2,000 and non-academic staff of about ~5,000, does everything in its power to fulfil the role of one of the most prestigious universities of the country. In 2007 our institution was the first to receive the highest degree of the Higher Education Qualification Prize awarded to the most reputable Hungarian higher education institutions.
Main facts about the University
- 30,000 students
- 7,000 international students from 120 countries
- ~ 2,000 academic staff
- 13 faculties on 8 campuses
- 24 doctoral schools
- ~ 80% of the instructors have doctoral (PhD) degrees, and
- 110+ professors are doctors of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences
- 651-700 in QS WUR 2023
- 151-200 in THE Europe Teaching Ranking (2019)
- UD conducts 14-15% of the volume of research carried out in Hungary
The city of Debrecen
Debrecen is a charming and fast-growing town of around 204,000 habitants in the heart of Europe with an international airport as well as train connections and direct highways to other European cities like Vienna, Krakow or Prague.
The University of Debrecen has more campuses - most of them are located in Debrecen, but some in nearby cities (for example in Nyíregyháza).
- Agricultural Science
- Computer Science and Information Technology
- Medical and Health Science
- Doctoral (PhD) programs